Damascus knife is best for home chefs as well as for professionals and is made in a special way than other knives. They come in various sizes and types. Although multiple options are available, you must be aware of all the features and uses of all main types. To make a better decision we have reviewed some of the best Damascus knives with the ultimate buying guide. This guide will help you to select one of them suitable to your needs and preferences.
Shun Classic 8-Inch Chef’s Knife: Editor’s Choice
Shun Classic 8-in chef’s knife is made with VG-Max steel and has 34 layers of Damascus steel on each side. Its manufacturing country is Japan. It is well known for its durability, sturdiness, and sharpness the blade. The blade is made from steel and also contains some amount of carbon, tungsten, chromium, and cobalt which provide more strength. It has full tang construction and is considered an all-purpose chef knife. The blade has a curved edge resistant to corrosion and rust and has been sharpened to 16 degrees. The handle is made from Pakkawood coated with resin. Damascus chef knife is the best choice for those who are looking for a fusion of Traditional and modern technology.
- Razor sharp thin edge.
- Full tang construction.
- No need for frequent sharpening due to durability.
- Resistance to bacteria.
- The resin finish handle makes it easy to clean and waterproof.
- Brittle edge. and thin blade.
- Hand washing is recommended.
- Susceptible to chipping, so care is needed.
2. Zelite Infinity 8-Inch Damascus Chef Knife AUS-10 Super Stainless Steel: Best Sharpness
Zeolite Infinity 8-inch is the best Damascus chef knife made from AUS-10 stainless steel. It is very sharp and durable. The full tang construction and triple riveted handle make it extraordinary in sharpness. This knife is used for cutting and slicing meat, steak, chicken, and sushi. It is resistant to rust, corrosion, stain, and acid. One of the amazing features is that it fulfills all of your cutting needs. The military-grade G10 handle provides an easy and strong grip.
- Multi-functional and versatile.
- Durability, Sharp edge and strength due to stainless steel.
- Made with premium quality material.
- More lifetime than other knives.
- Resistant to rust and corrosion.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Can be used by both right and left-handed people due to the double bevel.
- Heavy handle
3. Yoshihiro NSW VG-10 46 Layers Hammered Damascus Gyuto Japanese Chef’s Knife: Impressive durability
This is a gyuto-style knife with a curved blade for easy cutting, slicing, and chopping. The blade has extraordinary durability due to 46 layers of Damascus steel surrounding the high-carbon Nickel VG-10 gold core. This knife is a double bevel which reduces friction during use. The blade is resistant to stains and rust. The handle is octagonal made from magnolia wood and is lightweight. Summing up, it is extraordinary among all other knives due to its extreme durability.
- Faster cutting of food due to a sharp blade.
- Lightweight and well-balanced.
- Come with a protective sheath.
- The comfortable and easy grip of the handle.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Not really.
4. LEVINCHY Damascus Santoku Chef Knife 7 Inches: Resistant to rust and stain
LEVINCHY Damascus Santoku is a Japanese Damascus steel chef knife made from 67 layers of Damascus steel and is hand forged. It is resistant to rust, wear, stain, corrosion, and discoloration. Its hardness is 58 – 62 which is responsible for its durability and strength. This knife has a razor-sharp edge and efficiently cuts meat and herbs. It is multi-purpose and available in various options. In addition, the full tang construction and triple riveted handle provide more strength. The handle gives an easy grip and holds during use. The thin blade is well suited for slicing and dicing meat, fish, fruit, and veggies.
- Resistant to stain, rust, corrosion and discolouration.
- Highly versatile and durable.
- Cut through most of the foods easily.
- The triple-riveted handle is easy to hold.
- Not at all.
5. FANTECK Damascus Professional Chef Knife: Also Consider
FANTECK Damascus Professional Chef Knife is an affordable high quality professional chef knife with an eye-catching appearance. The blade is made from VG-10 Real Damascus Steel which is durable. The handle is double bevel and provides easy grip. In short, it is a valuable addition to your kitchen for all-around work.
- Unique balance and is comfortable to use.
- Sharp blade for easy cutting.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
- Less expensive.
6. Miyabi SG2 Birchwood 8-Inch Chef Knife With Stainless Steel: Best Long-Lasting Japanese Knife
The Miyabi SG2 34373-203 Damascus Knife is handcrafted in Japan and has an appealing appearance. The blade is durable and has high functionality. The handle material is Karelian. It has high sharpness and is used to cut thick materials like bones as well as light items like herbs. The blade is made from steel with a cutting edge of 9.5 to 12 degrees. The durability of this knife is due to the presence of 100 layers of Damascus steel surrounding its steel core made from micro-carbide powder. This knife is the best option if you are looking for high durability and greater edge retention.
- Highly durable due to the Damascus and alloy steel.
- Thin and sharp blade slicing, mincing and chopping of veggies and meat.
- High edge retention.
- Well-balanced and beautiful appearance.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Not dishwasher safe.
- A thin and delicate blade which is susceptible to bend.
- A cutting board is needed.
7. Fine Tool 8-inch Professional Chef’s Knife: Also consider
A fine tool knife is a German Chef knife used by professionals with amazing features. It is lightweight and used for precise and easy cutting. It can perform heavy-duty cutting work in the kitchen. The presence of a bolster keeps your hands safe while cutting and provides an easy grip.
- Comfortable in use.
- Nice appearance.
- Non-slip handle.
- Not really.
How to Choose the Right Damascus Chef Knife?
Damascus knives are available in various sizes and types. Here is an ultimate buying guide for choosing the right one;
The hardness of steel is a major factor that needs to be considered before choosing a knife. The greater the carbon content greater will be the hardness and durability. Harder steel is sharp than softer one. In short, softer steel is vulnerable to chipping while hard steel is more brittle. So, you must go with the moderate option.
2. Blade Shape and thickness
Damascus knives are available in two types of blades; straight edge or rounded belly. It depends upon the personal choice to select one of them. Japanese knives are thinner and more lightweight than other knives. A thin blade is not suitable for cutting hard ingredients. It is useful for fine slicing.
3. Blade Length
The length of the blade depends on the nature of your kitchen work. If you have to prepare a large amount of food, you must use a larger blade knife. A 10-inch blade is suitable for such tasks. On the other hand, a 6 or 8-inch blade knife is well suited for home use.
4. Handle and Tang Design
Knives with full tang construction and handle made from high-quality material are comfortable to use and easy to maintain. It is also good for efficient and tough cutting.
A well-balanced knife is easy to carry and use. It does not demand too much effort while cutting.
How to Care for Your New Damascus Knife
Here are some tips to take care of Damascus knives that enhance the lifetime of the knife;
- Use a wooden board
Always use a wooden board while using a Damascus knife and avoid the use of glass or any other board.
- Avoid using a dishwasher
It may cause corrosion and rust. Do not keep it in the dishwasher and prefer hand washing.
- Don’t leave the knife in a sink and dry it immediately after washing
Clean and dry the knife immediately after use and do not keep it in the sink for a long time. It causes rust and corrosion.
- Use a soft brush for cleaning
Always use a soft brush for cleaning various parts of a knife.
- Store your knife in a wooden box
After use keep the knife in a safe place such as a wooden box.
- Sharpen the knife frequently
To maintain the sharpness of the knife, frequent sharpening is needed. You can use a whetstone sharpener for this purpose.
- Don’t scrape the food
Avoid bending the blade and scraping the food with the blade.
Overall, All Damascus knives are amazing in quality and features. You will enjoy using such an amazing tool for fulfilling your kitchen needs. As these knives are available in different varieties. Shun Classic 8-Inch Chef’s Knife is at the top of the list if you are looking for a sharp knife. Other knives such as Yoshihiro NSW VG-10 46 Layers Hammered Damascus Gyuto Japanese Chef’s Knives is one of the highly durable knives. Miyabi SG2 Birchwood 8-Inch Chef Knife With Stainless Steel is a long-lasting Japanese Knife. So choose them wisely by keeping your preferences in mind.