Shun and Wusthof are well-known knives brand all around the world due to their credibility and features in cutlery. Shun brand provides the best Japanese kitchen knives, while Wusthof is popular for German durability and versatility. Exotic steels are mostly used for the manufacturing of Shun knives. Shun knives are sharp, hard, brittle to some extent, and more susceptible to damage.
While the Wusthof knives are less brittle, their durability is high and serves as a standard for the kitchen. Although, Both Shun and Wusthof knives are good brands they have some differences and drawbacks too. Let us discuss both of them in detail to understand which is the best choice for you.
Shun vs. Wusthof Knives
|FEATURES||WUSTHOF KNIFE||SHUN KNIFE|
|Blade material||Stainless steel||VG10, VG-MAX, SG2, and high-carbon blue steel|
|Design||Western style||Japanese style|
|Handle material||Pakkawood and polymers||Pakkawood|
|Warranty||Limited lifetime||Limited lifetime|
|Washing and cleaning||Hand washing recommended||Hand washing recommended|
|Edge angle||14 degree||16 degree|
About The Wusthof Knives
Wusthof is a German knife manufacturer that provides high quality, durability, control, sharpness, reliability, and versatility. It is the best and highly preferable brand for all chef knives. If you are less conscious about appearance and looking for durable knives then this brand is highly recommended for you. They are more enjoyable to use than other knives. Sharpening is easy with less effort. It is multi-purpose and solves all the problems of a chef in the kitchen. One of the shortcomings is that it requires more expertise to use than other knives.
Features Of Wusthof Knives
- Wusthof knives are heavier than Shun.
- Wusthof are easy to sharpen.
- They are versatile and incredible.
- The blades are made from high-carbon steel along with alloys that prevent rust and corrosion.
- Hard and durable.
- The blades are made from the synthetic material Polyoxymethylene which does not become dull.
- Wusthof knives are safe and comfortable to use.
- They have a good balance.
Wusthof Knives Lines
1. Wusthof Classic
The Wusthof Classic line is made from stainless steel and synthetic material. They are forged traditional knives and many chefs use them due to their uniqueness and performance.
- Variable and high-quality handle sizes.
- Come in 80 different item ranges.
- Durable and strong.
- Ergonomic and fancy design.
- Aesthetic appearance.
Also read out the best steel for kitchen knives
2. Wusthof Classic Ikon
The Wusthof Classic Ikon is available in a 7-piece set of knives with an appealing design. They have an ergonomic, triple-riveted handle. Such knives are comfortable to use and easy to handle.
- Well balanced.
- They are made from a single piece of steel.
- Handle with easy control and comfort
- It comes with a distinct second bolster
- Easy to sharpen.
3. Wusthof Grand Prix II
This line differs from other knives due to different handles. It comes in a range of 35 items. It has full tang construction with excellent balance.
- Good grip.
- Easy balance.
- No slipping of the handle.
- Stainless and rust resistant.
4. Wusthof Culinary
Wusthof Culinary line is made from a single piece of stainless steel with good balance. They have many designs with full tang construction.
- They have an outstanding design.
- Full tang construction.
- Handles have a Satin finish.
About The Shun Knives
Shun is a Japanese manufacturer brand that provides the best quality culinary knives of variable range with high standards. Such knives are highly used by professionals and chefs in the kitchen. Shun exports materials for manufacturing their knives and used the latest techniques to make knives.
Features Of Shun Knife
- These knives are easy to use.
- They have versatility, fantastic design, and easy grip.
- Blades are made from the best steel i.e. VG10, VG-MAX, SG2, and high-carbon steel.
- Resistant to corrosion and have high edge retention.
- Their handles are made from hardwood blends or polymeric materials with beautiful designs.
- Distinctive from other knives.
Shun Knives Lines
1. Shun Classic
This is the top and original Japanese knife line made up of stainless steel. It has a sturdy and thick blade. The cladding is done with Damascus and makes it resistant to corrosion. Pakkawood is used for making handles and the edges are highly sharp. Handles are of beautiful D-shaped design.
- It has VG-MAX cutting core.
- The handle is D-shaped.
- Resistant to corrosion.
- Full composite tang.
2. Shun Sora
The Shun Sora line is made from VG10 and 420J stainless steel. This brand is less expensive. The blades are sharp and the handle is made from polymer.
- High-quality blade material.
- Firm grip and is easy to handle.
- Unique design.
- Sharp edge.
- Highly traditional style and design.
3. Shun Kanso
Shun Kanso line has a Japanese-style blade with a full tang. These knives have unique finishes and appearances. Their handles are made from Tagayasan wood which makes them easy to hold and handle.
- Japanese blade steel with good design.
- Full tang construction.
- Easy grip.
- Highly sharp 16-degree cutting edge.
4. Shun Premier
Premier knives are a high variety of Japanese knives made up of 34 layers of Damascus stainless steel. Their handles are made from Pakkawood. They have hammered texture and food does not stick to the handle.
- Made with high-quality VG-MAX cutting core.
- Hammered texture.
- Handle made up of Pakkawood.
- The edge is double.
5. Shun Classic Pro
Shun Classic Pro has VG-MAX cutting core with a single bevel. The handles are made up of pakkawood. They have amazing designs.
- Cladded with Stainless Damascus.
- They have a full composite tang.
- They have D-shaped handles.
- Highly sharp with a 16-degree cutting edge.
- Hollow-ground back.
6. Shun Dual Core
They are made up of two types of stainless steel VG-10 and VG-2. Their blades are highly durable with great edge retention power.
- Manufactured from VG-10/VG-2 steel.
- Handles are of Pakkawood with octagonal shapes.
- The edge is a double bevel.
- The blade is made up of Damascus.
- It has rabbet tang.
7. Shun Blue
Shun blue knives are made from carbon steel core having two layers of stainless steel. They are very easy to use and handle. Their sharpening and honing is not a difficult task.
- Made from blue carbon steel or stainless steel.
- Handles are made from Pakkawood.
- The handle shape is Octagonal.
- It has rabbet tang.
- The edge is a double bevel.
Wusthof Vs. Shun Knife Comparison: The Differences
1. Blade Design And Material
The shun knives have thin and lighter blades with hammered and Damascus designs. Wusthof has a European-style blade. The blades of Wusthof are manufactured from high-carbon stainless steel along with chromium and molybdenum for durability and hardness.
The blade of shun knives is made from VG-MAX, VG10 stainless steel, SG2 stainless steel, and high carbon blue steel mixed with chromium and molybdenum too.
2. Materials And Design Of Handle
The handle material of Wusthof is Polyoxymethylene and Polypropylene. The handle of Shun is made of Pakkawood, Tagayasan, polypropylene, Micarta, and thermoplastic elastomer.
Both these knives have different hardness and durability. The blade of the Wusthof knife has a hardness level of 58 and the Shun knives have 61. Shun knives are durable and harder than Wusthof knives.
Wusthof knives are sharper than Shun knives and less energy is needed to slice items. Wusthof knives are cut at a 14-degree angle while Shun knives’ edges are cut at a 16-degree angle.
The cost of knives depends upon the features and design. Both knives are of high quality and come in different price ranges.
Wusthof Vs. Shun Comparison: The Similarities
1. Maintenance And Cleaning
Cleaning and maintenance of both these knives are easy. Mostly hand washing is preferred to avoid damage. Complete drying is recommended to prevent staining and corrosion. Keep them away from other metal materials and proper storage is necessary for both.
2. Quality And Durability
Both these knives are available with high quality and are highly incredible products. The material of construction makes them sharp, hard, durable, and safe.
3. Life Time Warranty
Both knife brands provide a lifetime warranty.
4. Variety Range
These knives have many varieties, styles, designs, and shapes. They make cutting tasks easy.
Our Verdict: Which Should You Buy, Shun or Wusthof?
It is not difficult to decide whether to choose Shun or Wusthof, you should prefer the needs or requirements of your tasks. As Shun brand is Japanese knives, and Wusthof is that of German knives with a few differences in features. Both these provide amazing characteristics. If you like Japanese-style designs and are conscious about edge retention then select Shun knife. On the other hand, if you want sharpness, durability, and like German look, Wusthof is the best choice.