A serrated knife has a saw-like edge with regularly arranged serrations along the blade edge. The serrations are useful for cutting tough and fibrous materials such as bread, meat, and vegetables. The serrated edge makes it easy to cut without breaking the soft interior of the food. They are available in multiple shapes and sizes ranging from small serrated utility knives to large serrated bread knives.
Uses of Serrated Knives
Serrated knives can also be used for construction and woodworking purposes.
- Professionals and home chefs use them in the kitchen for various tasks.
- They are used for cutting bread, slicing thick-skinned fruits and vegetables such as pineapples, and tomatoes, carving and trimming the fat from meat, and cutting foam and cardboard.
- You can use them for many outdoor activities including camping and hiking, and cutting rope, and branches.
- They are best used for cutting bread smoothly. The sharpening of a serrated knife is a different process and you can sharpen it using a sharpening rod or stone.
These knives do not need frequent sharpening because their serrations stay sharp for a long time. This is one of the best features I ever liked about serrated knives. In this article, we will review some best-serrated knives of high quality with the buying guide. We’ll also discuss their demerits along with demerits which may help you to make a better decision according to the requirement of your needs and task.
1. Henckels Classic Serrated Utility Knife: Multi-Purpose
The Henckels Classic Serrated Utility Knife is well known high-quality kitchen knife of the German brand. The blade is made from stainless steel and is highly resistant to rust, corrosion, and staining. It is a very versatile knife with a serrated edge and is used for slicing through foods with tough exteriors as well as for soft interiors.
The full tang construction is responsible for balance, stability, and control during use. Synthetic material is used for the construction of the handle. The handle provides an easy and strong grip. The serrated edge makes it unique for slicing through foods like tomatoes, bread, and citrus fruits. The serrations prevent the crushing and tearing of food and give clean and precise cuts. If you are looking for a knife that can perform a variety of kitchen tasks such as making sandwiches, and salads and slicing through meats and vegetables then it is the best option for you.
- Stable and have balance due to full tang construction.
- Durable and resistant to, corrosion, rust, and staining.
- Comfortable to hold and easy to grip due to good handle.
- Highly versatile.
- Can be used for multiple tasks in the kitchen.
- Difficult to sharpen.
- Short blade.
- Little bit more expensive than other knives on the market.
2. The ZWILLING Pro 5.5” Serrated Prep Knife: Versatile
The ZWILLING Pro 5.5” Serrated Prep Knife is made from German stainless steel with an ice-hardened blade for high sharpness and durability. It is used for precise cutting and slicing. The blade is made from high-quality material and is resistant to rust and corrosion. The evenly spaced serrations are good for easy cutting of material with precision and control. The handle is made from polymer that provides an easy and secure grip during use. The size of the blade is 5.5 inches which can perform smaller tasks such as slicing or carving a chicken breast, slicing through tomatoes, and trimming the fat from meats. This knife can also be used for cutting foam for crafting projects. Due to its versatility and precision, it is a good addition to your kitchen.
- Sharp and precise serrated edge for easy cutting.
- The ice-hardened blade makes it resistant to rust and corrosion.
- Easy and secure grip.
- Unable to perform larger tasks.
- Special techniques are needed to sharpen this knife.
- More maintenance is required.
3. The Gerber EVO Serrated Knife: Best For Outdoor Activities
The Gerber EVO Serrated Knife is a small and lightweight folding knife used for outdoor activities. The blade is designed from stainless steel which provides durability and control. It is used for cutting rope, cord, and webbing. The knife comes with a frame lock and pocket clip that makes it safe and easy to carry in a pocket. The handle is made from aluminum for easy grip. This is the best choice for keeping in a pocket or keychain due to its compact size.
- The small and compact size.
- Easy to carry in a pocket or on a keychain.
- Easy to cut rope, cord, and webbing.
- Highly durable and resistant to rust.
- The availability of pocket clips is responsible for easy carrying.
- Blade is not long enough for slicing larger pieces of meat and cutting thick branches.
- For single-handed purpose only and not comfortable for two-handed users.
- Limited warranty.
4. Wüsthof Pro 10-inch Bread Knife: Best For Cutting Bread
The Wüsthof Pro 10-inch Bread Knife is a versatile kitchen knife specifically designed for bread with a serrated blade edge. It is used for cutting bread and slicing melons, rolls, and tomatoes. The blade is made from stainless steel. Stainless steel is highly durable and resistant to corrosion and rust. The handle is ergonomic and made from synthetic material. The serrated blade is useful for easy slicing. The handle provides a secure and comfortable grip. In short, this knife is best for those who are looking for a high-quality, durable, and reliable kitchen knife and loves to bake bread.
- Sharp blade with serrated edge for precision.
- Durable blade made from high-carbon stainless steel.
- Sturdy handle for secure grip.
- Ergonomic handle.
- Easy to cut loaves of bread with ease.
- Less versatile.
- Limited precision.
- Need of regular maintenance
5. Tojiro ITK Bread Knife; Best for soft fruits
The Tojiro ITK Bread Knife is best for cutting soft fruits and bread. It is a high-quality kitchen knife with a long and serrated blade. The blade is made from high-carbon stainless steel and is durable. The handle is made from POM and provides a secure grip and comfort. Due to its versatile nature, it can also be used for slicing through melons and tomatoes with a tough exterior. At last, it is a high-quality, durable, and reliable kitchen knife for those who enjoy baking bread or want to enhance their bread-cutting experience.
- Sharp serrated edge of blade for precise cuts.
- Durable and strong blade.
- The ergonomic POM handle for a secure and comfortable grip.
- Less expensive.
- Maintenance is required.
- Limited availability.
- Hand washing is recommended.
6. The Mercer Culinary Millennia Black Handle 9-inch Bread Knife: Best For Low Budget
The Mercer Culinary Millennia Black Handle 9-inch Bread Knife is an NSF-certified kitchen knife made from Japanese steel. It is used for slicing through all types of bread, crusty artisan loaves, and soft sandwich bread. The blade is strong, durable, and resistant to rust and corrosion. The edge of the blade is serrated and sharp which cuts food without crushing. The handle is made from Santoprene which provides an easy grip. This knife is the best choice if you have a low budget because it is highly affordable with unique features.
- The blade is strong, durable, and resistant to corrosion.
- Easy slicing of toughest crusts without crushing.
- Comfortable and secure grip.
- High standard brand.
- Not available in all regions.
- Hand washing is recommended.
Things To Consider Before Buying The Best Serrated Knife
Following are some points you need to consider before buying the best-serrated knife;
1. Types Of Serrated Knives You Want To Purchase
Serrated knives are available in various types, sizes, and shapes. Before purchasing you must consider your needs and requirements. They are used for multiple purposes some are specific for bread or bakery stuff while others are for fruits, veggies, and pastries.
2. Serrations And Their Effectiveness
Serrations along the edge of the blade of serrated knives are best for precise and smooth cutting. The effectiveness of serrations is an important factor that needs to be considered before selecting the best knife. The serrations are responsible for fast and easy work.
3. Material Of Knife
The stainless steel material is resistant to rust and corrosion. Select a serrated knife that is made from this material. It can withstand many years due to its durability.
4. Teeth And Teeth Shape
The shape of the teeth on the serrated knife should be sharp. The teeth are saw-like and are evenly and closely spaced. They are responsible for cutting the cake, tomatoes, bread, and other materials easily.
5. Size Of Knife
These knives are available in various sizes ranging from small to large. Which size of blade you should select depends upon the requirements and needs. If you are looking for a compact pocket knife go for a small size. Normally a 3.5-5 inches size is good for travelers and camping.
6. Grip And Comfort Of Handle
One of the important factors that need to be considered while purchasing a serrated knife is a secure grip and comfort. The handle should be easy to hold. So go for one that gives you a secure and good grip.
7. Sharpness Of Blade
The sharpness of the knife is an essential feature. Select a knife with a sharp and high-quality blade.
8. Maintenance Factor
Before purchasing a serrated knife consider the maintenance. Don’t select a knife that is prone to rust and difficult to wash.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is It Compulsory For A Bread Knife To Be Serrated?
Serrated knives are best for cutting bread and bakery materials smoothly without squishing. Hence, a bread knife should be serrated with serrations on edge of the blade for precise cuts.
2. Can You Use A Serrated Knife To Cut Tomatoes?
Yes, Serrated knives can be used for cutting tomatoes.
3. Can I Sharpen Serrated Knives?
Sharpening a serrated knife is not a difficult task. The process is different to some extent. You can use a stone or a sharpening rod to sharpen it.
4. Is There a Need For Frequent Sharpening Of Serrated Knives?
No, Serrated knives are highly sharp and there is no frequent need for sharpening.
5. Can I Use A Serrated Knife For Cutting The Cake?
Of course, Serrated knives are best used for the precise cutting of cake and bakery materials.
The choice of a best-serrated knife depends upon the need and preferences. We discussed top picks of serrated knives which may help you to make better decisions. They are the best tools for cutting bread, bakery items, vegetables, and fruits in an amazing way. All these knives have unique and high-quality features, you need to select according to your requirement. The Mercer Culinary Millennia Black Handle 9-inch Bread Knife is best for low budget. If you are more interested in versatility then The ZWILLING Pro 5.5” Serrated Prep Knife is a better option. While Henckels Classic Serrated Utility Knife is an amazing tool for multi-purpose.