Nakiri Knife has a sharp end and a fantastic lifespan. The sharp and flat blade is the best for cutting, slicing, and chopping vegetables.
A Nakiri knife is a Japanese vegetable knife with a sharp, wide, symmetrical, and straight blade. A Nakiri blade looks more like a Chinese cleaver but is much lighter with a straight blade edge that enables precise cuts of all types of vegetables. You need a Nakiri because of its thin blade and longer blade length. It is the fact that it’s the ideal vegetable knife to have. Here is a complete guideline about how to use a Nakiri Knife.
How To Use A Nakairi Knife
The method for using Nakiri knives lies in the style of the blade, which is flat rather than curved. You do not need to follow the other chef’s knife’s way because it has a flat blade style.
Hand positioning plays a crucial role and helps you cut more quickly and efficiently. The Nakiri Knife is best used with an up-down rather than a rocking motion technique. There is less need to apply more effort and energy due to its sharpness and heavyweight.
Follow the given instructions for correctly using the nakiri knife. Here are a few tips for using it:
- Hold the knife with a pinch grip: To use a nakiri knife, hold it with a pinch grip, with your index finger and thumb on the blade and your other fingers wrapped around the handle. This will give you greater control over the knife and allow you to make precise cuts. Move the rest of the knife up and down to chop the vegetables.
- Keep the blade sharp: A sharp blade is essential for using this knife effectively. Make sure to keep the blade sharpened, either using a sharpening stone or by taking it to a professional sharpener.
- Use a chopping motion: When using a nakiri knife, use a chopping motion to cut through vegetables. This will allow you to make clean, even slices with minimal effort.
- Cut with the full length of the blade: When using a nakiri knife, try to use the full length of the blade to make cuts. This will allow you to slice through more food at once, which can be more efficient.
- Use a cutting board: To protect your nakiri knife and your countertops, use a cutting board when slicing and dicing vegetables. Choose a cutting board that is made of a material that is soft enough to allow the blade to glide through easily, but hard enough to provide a stable surface.
Keep in mind that these are just a few basic tips for using a nakiri knife. With practice, you will become more comfortable and proficient with this tool.
Do’s And Don’ts While Using Nakiri Knife
- You must start by holding the handle with your fingers wrapped around it.
- It is efficient and better to hold it much closer to the blade itself rather than holding it just like a chef’s knife. It will give you more control.
- For more precise cuts it is best practice to start cutting motion on one side of the blade and finish it on the other.
- In my opinion and my way to use a knife, the chopping motion is made by rocking the blade up and down on whatever you are cutting.
- Some people feel it is easier to hold the Nakiri more toward its middle with their palm to keep a good grip on it.
- Avoid too much downward force while chopping.
- Allow the blade to do most of the work.
- The Nakiri knife’s blade is sharp enough to cut. So, it is not necessary to sharpen it before every use.
Tips And Tricks For Using A Nakiri Knife Correctly:
- When chopping vegetables it is necessary to get your index finger as close to the blade of the knife as possible.
- You should keep in mind that your fingers should always point towards the cutting board at all times.
- It is not essential to bring your fingers in front of the blade.
- Nakiri knife can be held with one or two fingers according to your convenience and comfort level.
- Get essential knowledge about the use of the Nakiri knife to avoid any mishap or accidents while using it at home or in chef’s kitchens.
- As I told you that a Nakiri knife is used for multiple tasks. Some chefs do not use the Nakiri as a general-purpose kitchen knife. They have different knives for different purposes. Constantly moving the blade is the best practice while cutting.
What Is Nakiri Knife Used For?
Nakiri knives can fulfill all of your vegetable-cutting needs. If you are looking for the best knife then the Nakiri knife is an excellent option. A Nakiri knife is a great addition to your kitchen in your home.
Here is a summary of Nakiri knife’ uses:
- Cutting all kinds of leafy greens and vegetables.
- Making vegetable dishes.
- Preparing sushi and sashimi.
What To Cut With A Nakiri Knife
Once you have decided to purchase an amazing Nakiri knife you should understand what foods are best cut with it. This is not just a meat cleaver. This knife is used to cut all your vegetables and fruit. Here is a list that you can cut by using it:
- Summer squash
- Cabbages (green, red, Napa, Savoy)
- Potatoes of all kinds
- Apples, pears, oranges, lemons, limes
- All kinds of melons
Sharpening of a Nakiri knife
As I mentioned above the Nakiri knife has a straight, sharp, double-beveled edge. This fact implies that you can sharpen this knife just like all your other knives. You can use a drag-through sharpener or an electric sharpener to sharpen your Nakiri knife. You can run the knife blade along steel to hone the edge or it can also be sent off to a professional knife sharpener once a year to feel more comfortable.
If you think you should buy it, must read out which are the best nakiri knives for you.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Nakiri knife can be used for meat?
Nakiri knives are best for cutting and slicing vegetables and fruits because of their straight blades. It is difficult for a Nakiri knife to cut meat efficiently. It is because there is no point on the blade’s tip like other Japanese kitchen knives.
2. is a Nakiri a cleaver?
No, Nakiri knives are different from other Japanese knives and do not function like ordinary knives. They are not a cleaver due to their sharp and straight blade.
3. Is a Nakiri knife worth it?
It depends upon the requirements and uses. You must know about the uses before purchasing it. Therefore, you must know what you need and want in your kitchen. It makes it easier to select it.
4. How do I take care of my Nakiri knife?
You can take care of it just like any other Japanese blade. The more you take care of it the more it will stand. If your blade gets dull, sharpen it with a sharpener or stones.
5. Can I sharpen my Nakiri knife?
Yes, you can sharpen it once a year according to your requirements.
6. Is the nakiri knife costly?
No, it is not costly. You can purchase it according to your budget range. They come in different price ranges from 50$ to 400$.
So, what’s up guys? I hope you got all the answers about the confusion related to the use of Nakiri knives. As you know you can use it without the risk of injury. Therefore, you can make this your final choice while investing in knives for your kitchen. In my personal experience, I found it most incredible and the best choice for my family and me.
I have mentioned all the benefits of using a Nakiri knife, such as slicing easily and for precise cuts. When cleaning vegetables, handling them without getting their juices all over your hands is easier. It is the best kitchen tool due to its versatile features. I recommend you to try it and enjoy its amazing features. Thank you!